Saturday, March 04, 2006

American Dream

I worked at the campus location ten years ago, and it was a fun place. The owner of that also owns big river, and part of the downtown store, so he knows what he is doing. My boss was a good guy, but some of my fellow employees started to get on my nerves, so I ended up quitting, but it was a fun time. I had low rent, so I didn't have to work many hours, and spent a lot of time playing my guitar, strolling around, reading, listening to music. In 95 there wasn't much of an internet. That was the year somebody told me about lynx, a text-only browser, and yahoo.com. Yahoo was mostly just good for getting jokes and a lot of useless information, but the osu library had computers hooked up to unix, so that seemed fascinating. With unix you could get a list of everybody logged into osu, and then "finger" somebody, to get their profile, and then type "talk" to start an instant-message type thing with them. Email also worked then, using pine, which is probably still around. I remember hearing first about email in 1992, because my mom, a professor, was already using it, but back then, at UC Berkeley, you had to be a real geek to figure it out. I went down to the geek lab, and said I wanted an account, but they were like "go buy a book on unix." I just wanted email, not to learn the whole system...But pine was easy enough to figure out. As a matter of fact, going back to unix might be good, and be done with all the spyware and viruses....
For years I was happy with text-only browsers, ...
But anyway, that was life ten years ago: pizza delivery, playing music, poetry, and unix

No comments: