Wednesday, January 17, 2007

person with laptop



I was sitting around the bean, wasting time, when I decided to do a little sketch, so here it is.
The weather has been kind of cold, but I have been getting a kick out of riding around town. I nearly broke my arm about a month ago falling off my bike, so that has made me a bit more cautious about riding around, if not just nervous in general, but hopefully I learned something from the experience, like to look where I am going. some guy was out walking his dog after dark and it was foggy, and I didn't see him and he didn't see me. Actually I saw him, but there are no brakes on the top part of my handlebars. it's an old style bike where you have to reach down to reach to brakes. I realized that if I didn't have to make that motion, I never would have run into the guy. anyway, we both basically should have been looking where we were going a little more. he said he was fine, and I was lying there for a while, because I really nearly broke my arm. a month later, it's still a little tweaked out, although nothing to worry about, hopefully, but it was a shock to the system, that is for sure. Riding around in the dark is always a dangerous proposition, and if you are going to do it, make sure you have the lights, for one thing, but also always be on the lookout and drive defensively. Also, riding in the rain is even worse. But it can be done.
The usual people were at the beanery. I won't name any names, but you know who you are. That's a great hangout, if you ask me. There are large windows, and the wooden tables are nice. Sure, some of the people (like me) may be self-centered, but usually I'm just going down there to read the paper, or read a book, or stare out the window and do a sketch or two.

No comments: