Sunday, December 31, 2006

church to avoid

It is simply unbelievable the crap some people actually believe. I was going to a church over in Albany for a short time, but the guy started raging about "the homos." I guess his view is that gays are inherently evil or something. It's pretty sad when you see the leader of a church who spends all his time ranting and raving about stuff he hates. I guess hate is a big part of his life. Anyway, I doubt this guy has ever met anybody that is gay. My personal view is that people are born gay or not, and you can be good or bad, sexual orientation is irrelevant. Due to people like this moron, gays feel, for a very good reason, that Christianity is hostile to them. It's sad and pathetic, and I'm not going to waste any more time over there, that's for sure. He also spent a long time raging about how men are becoming more "effeminate." I don't know where he got that, but I see no reason to believe it.
In another incredibly moronic sermon, he talked about how he "kinda liked Bush" because Bush didn't have doubts, and didn't get involved in the complexities of the situation. He then went on to talk about how a soldier can't have doubts when he is deciding to shoot or not in combat. While it is certainly true that in combat soldiers have to react quickly, this idiot is trying to say that somehow it is good to not look at how complicated things are in the real world. That's what lead to the problems we are in today in Iraq. Bush's simplistic aggresiveness has resulted in a huge number of deaths. This pastor was somehow saying that he liked Bush for this? What a pathetic excuse for an intellect this guy is. The real world is complicated, and there are all kinds of peoples, believing in all kinds of religions out there. The Christians that are looking for some kind of holy war are the Christians that I really detest. I don't think Jesus or anybody else in the Bible said anything about having to go to war with Islam.
Besides, in my opinion, nobody can say that Bush is any kind of Christian. One of the main points of the gospels is that the poor should be helped. Bush has spent his presidency cutting taxes for the very rich at the expense of the very poor. There is nothing Christian about that, in my view.
There's a lot of good stuff in the Bible. This guy was unerring in getting nothing but hate and nastiness out of it. The whole spirit of the church seemed to be getting into the attitude that they were "in a war" having to do with morals or some other type of bullshit that they invented. They need to relax and see the numerous exceptional things in the Bible that have nothing at all to do with war.
So I'm never going back.

Note: I'm not saying that Christianity is bad. I was just pointing out the things about this guy that I didn't like. I'm not saying he's "representative" of Christianity as a whole, and I don't think he has a clue as to what it is really about, at least in my mind.

3 comments:

crallspace said...

I would like to request that you post this guy's name and the name of the church. For future googlers, you may save them the time and heartache. My advice: Cut to the chase and go to a Unitarian Universalist church if you are looking for a congregation that is tolerant to the punching bag issues that right wingers spend their lives on.

I think homosexuality is mentioned like 4 or 5 times tops in the Bible. But somehow, the Christians have made it a focal point to continually browbeat others. And usually, the ones who do this are ignorant in other respects, i.e. Bush supporters, cheauvenist thinkers, etc. I grew up around this.

For as judgmental as Christians are, I wonder how they can spin Bush's actions into a Christian light. I wrote briefly this morning about how I am moving farther from religion, for lack of a better word.

Have a good new year.

Nina said...

personally, i long to see a church that isn't really called a "church" per say......no labels or titles, for these just separate. something like a house of Being. open to all. and with a variety of hours for those of us who cannot fathom the idea of going anyplace on sunday mornings.

Christopher Farrell said...

I like the whole idea of churches, for a whole lot of reasons. I don't have a lot of luck with joining them though, but I'm a big fan of various religious thinkers, like Thomas Merton, Brother Lawrence, ....the whole monk thing seems great to me, in theory.