Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Shotokan

I went down to Coos Bay to get some instruction from a high ranking instructor, George Clark 4th dan, and he was a keen eye for detail. The difference between Shotokan karate and other forms is that the structure of its movements has really been turned into a science of how to generate maximum power and how to eliminate extraneous motions and get to maximum directness and effectiveness in the application of technique. These principles are widely agreed on among the highest level black belts, although Nishiyama is the leader of this particular organization. Anyway, the fact that there are these principles, and the fact that a Shotokan practitioner can continue to improve over the course of his life is what sets it apart from, say, kickboxing, tae kwon do, or many other watered down karate styles.
Anyway, it decided I had to make use of my time teaching the basics in my class and make sure that people were doing things correctly, and more than that, understood why it matters to do the motions correctly. A good instructor can always demonstrate his points, and has an understanding of how things are applied. I need to work on all of that stuff, having a lot of bad habits myself.
I have been focusing on maximum power to the detriment of other principles that are just as important, so I have a lot to work on, but I knew that, considered that I have failed 2nd degree three times so far.

No comments: